Saturday, April 16, 2011

Taxes and Tires

As I look back over the past twenty-four hours, I realize they have been focused primarily on caring for my parents’ caregivers.  Last night I discovered that our weekday caregiver was having problems getting her state tax refund.  After waiting a month, she called to find out why she had not received the monies due her.

IRS tech-nese can be challenging even for those well versed in English, let alone those for whom English is a second language.  We spent 2.5 hours jumping through hoops to Internet-search the right agency, make early morning calls in English and Spanish, write the required letter and take her to get it notarized. April 15 is not exactly the best day to make a call about a refund!  If she had not called, though, who knows how long it would have been before she would have been contacted.  Yet, when the tables were turned and the state wanted money from her, she said they communicated quickly!  I know our state is in fiscal distress, but so are individuals.  Service should not be one-way.

When I returned to my house, I started in on my personal “to do” list.  But it was interrupted when I got a call from our weekend caregiver asking if this was my husband’s scheduled day off; she had a flat tire and wanted help changing it.  It wasn’t, but my Dad and I offered to help her.  

I’d like to say we went and 1-2-3 replaced the tire with a donut.  NOT!  The tool to remove the special anti-theft nut was nowhere to be found.  She thought it might be at a storage unit several miles away so Dad took her there while I finished jacking up the car and loosened the other nuts.  She found the tool, and we left her able to get to work at Mom & Dad’s tomorrow.

This was not exactly the day I had planned, but how often are they?   Caring is a two-way street.

No comments:

Post a Comment