Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Boundaries?

Since the last blog post, my caregiving has meant dealing with a skin cancer surgery, an ER visit, filling seven prescriptions, and calling four doctors with competing advice on dealing with an infected toe.  Then there’s helping with tax returns for two families and editing the resume of an unemployed family member, plus my own endoscopy-colonoscopy double header and several other tests to determine the source of abdominal pain.   

When, as a responsible first-born, do I take a break from caring for others to care for myself?  My desires feel like wants; others have needs.  Is there enough Elsie to go around?

I was invited to accept a volunteer leadership position at church.  While thinking and praying about the decision, the “what ifs” sprouted like dandelions.  What if my parents’ health needs consume more and more of my time and energy and I have to step down?  What if my health is being compromised by helping my parents?  

Blogging is making me accountable to reflect, to be more intentional about my life.  But sometimes my words seem to dangle in cyberspace.  I would love to have responses bounce back at me on how to honor family members while caring for self...or any related issues.  I look forward to your comments.  By the way, in faith, I said “yes” to the leadership position.

No comments:

Post a Comment