Monday, March 7, 2011

Love in the Little Things

Both parents have been fighting respiratory challenges.  A few days ago, Dad called several hours after his bedtime asking me to give Mom a sleeping pill since her coughing was keeping him up.  Last night with Mom still coughing, it seemed best for her to sleep in a more upright position in her recliner and Dad in the bed.  The goal:  to give each an uninterrupted night’s sleep.  When I asked Dad in the morning how he had slept, he said it was horrible.  Surprised, I asked why.  Sheepishly, he said he missed having Mom in bed with him.

It was touching to hear this expression of love.  When I discussed sleeping arrangements for tonight with one of our health aides, she noted other ways my parents show care for each other.  Dad watches her like a hawk to make sure she is properly caring for Mom, and each morning Mom brightens when she sees Dad.   “You are so lucky,” she continued.  “Nine out of ten people get mean and crotchety as life gets tough.”  She gave examples of unpleasant patients she has cared for.  

Truly, I am blessed to have a mother who appreciates the help she receives—from getting her a straw to cleaning her up after the diaper overflows.  And I am blessed to have a father who cares for his wife even though she does not always remember they are married.  

Tonight, using a wedge pillow, Mom is reclining next to Dad in their own bed.  I am hoping we all will sleep well!

1 comment: