Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Defining My Journey

In calling this blog My Care Journey, I have in mind the multiple facets of its meaning.

care (kâr)*
noun
  1. A burdened state of mind, as that arising from heavy responsibilities; worry.
  2. Mental suffering; grief.
  3. An object or source of worry, attention, or solicitude: the many cares of a working parent.
  4. Watchful oversight; charge or supervision: left the child in the care of a neighbor.
verb, intransitive
  1. To be concerned or interested: Once inside, we didn't care whether it rained or not.
  2. To provide needed assistance or watchful supervision: cared for the wounded; caring for an aged relative at home.
  3. a. To have a liking or attachment: did care for the movie.
  4. b. To have a wish; be inclined: Would you care for another helping?
I am focused on making sure that my parents have the best quality of life achievable as their physical and mental functions deteriorate, while also trying to pay attention to the needs of my husband, my adult kids, other family members, friends and myself.  Such a range of emotions:  from joy at giving back to those who gave me life... to grief at now having to parent my parents who don’t remember our shared history or always recognize me, from thankfulness for their eighty-some years of life... to stomach-churning indigestion from this seemingly endless overstuffed sandwich of caring!  

I want to be available to help with wedding plans for our son and his fiancee in Boston, to visit with my daughter in Virginia, to reach out to my sister in Oklahoma who is in the midst of life-changing decisions, to go places and do things with my wonderful husband, to meet with friends, to try my hand at painting or swimming lessons....Then there are all the things I should be doing:  cleaning, decluttering and organizing at our house and my parents’ house, preparing taxes and dealing with my endless “to do” list...

As a follower of Jesus Christ, I am thankful that he invites me to cast all my care upon Him, for He cares for me (1 Peter 5:7).  I need the sense of burdens lifted and knowledge that I am loved in my imperfect state.  Praise God!

*  Edited from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment